Sunday, November 10, 2013

A little 'Memory Lane'.... and Ginger sings...


While watching a movie on WGN this afternoon, someone in one of the breaks said something about how vinyl is coming back, and young people are discovering it. At my place, it never left, and there's a high-end stereo shop downtown that agrees with me. They're still selling expensive turntables and very good quality pickup cartridges (try a Grado) and so I'm keeping most of the LPs I've collected. At the end of that movie, during the credits, some gal sang 'They All Laughed', and that got me hunting for it on YouTube. This wasn't the first version of it I found, but how often do we get a chance to hear Ginger actually singing?

And getting back to the vinyl, those very knowledgeable guys in that fancy stereo shop downtown tell me that the sound reproduction from vinyl is often superior to that of CDs and DVDs because those old vinyl records had bigger
and better grooves, and those made for a more faithful reproduction. Want to check that for yourself? Compare the quality of the playback from both the vinyl version and the CD version of Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon', and I'll bet you'll notice a difference in favor of the vinyl, assuming you've got a reasonably clean copy and decent hardware for the playback. 

And now, here's the version most of us remember.......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment