Monday, February 24, 2014

Canada Revenue Agency....

I am not usually known for singing the praises of our federal government's various branches, nor the inhabitants of that tree, but I have to make an exception for the folks at our Income Tax Department.

Recently, they've been encouraging us to file our tax returns over the internet using a pre-approved special program which converts our data into a code suitable for digestion at the District Taxation Office. I tried that for the first time last year, and it worked like a charm. No heavy lifting involved. Simply fill in the numbers in the proper spaces on the forms it displays, and 'zippitydoodah' - it does all the calculating and displays your balance owing or your refund to come.

They say if there's no mistakes or problems, you can expect to receive your refund electronically at your bank in as little as 8 days. I submitted my return on February 15th, and my refund arrived in my bank account this afternoon.
By my calculations, that's six working days. I think that's fantastic! 

I can remember when the tax department hired about 600 housewives every spring in Ottawa, and gave them each a red pencil, and they fumbled around 
for about two months to get your taxes verified and your refund into the mail.
This is a huge improvement, and I have to say "Well Done, Everyone!" And there wasn't a single red pencil harmed in the performance of this task. Buy yourselves a beer, guys! And Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment