Monday, May 4, 2015

The Canada Pension Plan and old age security...




I was surprised to see that the average Canada Pension payment received by Canadians is only $639.44/month while the maximum is $1065.00.

My Canada Pension was reduced because I was caught in a downsizing by my employer and pushed into early retirement ten years before normal retirement at age 65, so this reduced my pension benefits, because I was not able to continue the usual contributions until age 65. 

Increasing the limits for tax-free savings accounts only benefits the rich and famous, because the rest of us probably can't afford to do much saving anyway. Most Canadian households a further in debt than they ought to be, and are struggling to pay that off, so those aren't going to benefit from higher limits on tax-free savings. And I don't understand that concept anyway - because the money we would be putting into a savings account would normally be coming from our income, which is already taxed. So are we now being conned into paying more taxes on money that has already been taxed once? The problem here is that figures can lie, and liars can figure. And a lot of those liars are politicians in government. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment