Monday, May 18, 2015

Windows 10: Aero Glass: Why?

If you must, here's the website for what's available right now, from Germany:-


"But does it work in my Windows 10?" you ask. No, not really. It works OK in Win-8 or Win-8.1, but it's most definitely a "work-in-progress" in Windows 10.


If you click or tap that button saying "Windows 10" on the blue bar, you get this page of "maybies" - "maybe it will, maybe it won't" - mostly aimed at those of us running the 64-bit version of Windows 10. And there's a lot of 'cop-outs' here referring to our levels of competency in Windows, etc., which makes me nervous about it. There's a difference between "brave" and "stupid"....or should be.

I know 64-bit is the wave of the future, and I've tried it. Works great, but uses more disc space and RAM. My old rig is being taxed to the limit running all that's on here now, so I'm only able to get away with all that by sticking to "x86" or in other words 32-bit formatting. "Why's that?" you ask. Because: If a 32-bit segment on disc was let's say an inch long, then a 64-bit segment would have to be two inches long, or twice as much. And so that's why you can run 32-bit happily on a 64-bit system (which this is) but you can't run 64-bit on a 32-bit system, because it simply can't be compressed to fit. Or if it could, it isn't. So we all rush out to get bigger hard-drives, buy more RAM, or more likely just junk the old rig and mortgage the farm for a new one.....

But I'm digressing again - forgive me - Old Farts do this too much. We were on the topic of "Aero Glass for Windows 10" - and I've tried it. Mine being a 32-bit operating system, because of what I just said above, and this Glass8 program being as-yet unready for the most recent builds, like build 10074 on here, it just didn't work. "So what happened?" you ask. I put it where its builder said, directly into "C:\ AeroGlass", rebooted Old Faithful, and waited....and waited. I got the mouse cursor showing, but no Windows Boot Screen. Ctrl-Alt-Del couldn't get me out of that.

Fortunately, this old rig has three operating systems on it: Win-7, Win-8.1 and Win-10. So I could do a shutdown with the Power button on the box, then a Restart which gave me back the Windows Boot Screen, where I could choose Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 10. Once in Win-8.1, I could use File Explorer to access "This PC" - "Windows 10" and its "C:\AeroGlass" and hit "Delete". Then, do another Reboot, choose "Windows 10" and up comes the usual opening log-on for it. Problem solved. But you don't need that aggravation, right? So just be patient, and wait a while. Our friends in Germany will get it together eventually, and meanwhile, let's not panic.

But I haven't answered the question "Why do we need Aero Glass in the first place?" It was one of those neat eye-grabbers while we were trying to convince the rest of you that Windows Seven was the greatest thing since Sliced Bread - and in many ways, it still is - but it wasn't essential to the functioning of it. Instead, it was simply "eye candy". Nice eye-candy, but eye-candy all the same. Windows 7 would still kick ass without it. Trust me. I helped test that one too. And Windows 7 is the grandfather/grandmother of our latest baby, Windows 10, for those of you who like connecting the dots. Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment