Tuesday, July 14, 2015

What happened to Windows 10 on here?


Gee! Looks like it got replaced by a system that lets me access my blog editor without making me feel like throwing the computer out this 16th floor window into the back street.

"So what is this?" you're asking. It's the latest Release Version of PCBSD, or more exactly "PCBSD 10.1.2-05-22-2015-x64-DVD-USB" which is a 4GB download, and I might add a very nice operating system, especially if you get pissed off at Windows. This one's where Microsoft got the idea of distributing theirs for free, because this one's been free forever. And the kicker is, there's more than enough programs and accessories made for this to keep up to the competition, and do everything anyone needs to do with an operating system, so by running this one, I'm not missing out on anything special. It looks nice, and it works very well, and this is also very probably where Microsoft got the idea of continuous upgrading of the system. PCBSD and FreeBSD have been doing that for ages, and if you look at the little gray ball with the big green arrow on it in the Taskbar here, that's what tells me I'm all up-to-date. If not, it would be either yellow or blue indicating various updates or upgrades were available. If I accept those, they get automatically downloaded and installed, and that's a "new feature" of Windows 10. One they got from guess where?

So why shouldn't I go with the guys who developed all these neat tricks? And I don't have to wait for anything to get re-engineered before I can compose my daily blog entry. That really did it for me with Windows 10. They've been diddling around with that for over 8 months that I know of, and here it is less than two weeks from its public debut, and they still haven't got that damned Edge browser capable of displaying this text editor page in this blog completely enough to be usable. Other features of Win-10 work OK, but if I can't compose my daily blog entry with it, then I don't want the damned thing! Especially when I've got this to replace it with things that just work the way they should.

Microsoft has certainly been in the business long enough to have learned how it should be done - so why the hell can't they do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment