Thursday, May 24, 2012

It only took forever......


When something serious hits the fan and the old computer refuses to co-operate it takes literally hours and hours to get it back to where it was before all that.

I was trying last night to re-install Internet Explorer 10 into Windows 8, and even though I had carefully removed it a few weeks ago, Windows scanned my machine and reported it was "already installed". So it wouldn't accept a fresh one and I then tried to install the I.E. 9 like Windows 7 uses. Not only did that not go, but the Windows 8 began hanging during reboots at a point just before the logon takes place. I tried System File Checker's " sfc /scannow" and then tried to use the installation DVD to get it to repair itself, and none of that was accepted for some mysterious reason. Then, doing more reading on it, I learned that there's no way we can remove/delete/overwrite this Windows 8 with anything else including a couple of special programs designed to trash whatever's on a drive partition so it can be re-used again. If we don't like Windows 8, or it gets corrupted and dies, tough luck - we're stuck with it.

That really annoyed me, to think that Microsoft would set it up so that it can't be removed if we want to revert to something else that perhaps works for us. So then I got busy with EasyBCD and Easeus, and forced a few changes that really render it useless, by changing its partition to Unallocated and removing it from the Boot menu with EasyBCD. So now, it's Windows 7 or nothing on one of my machines that was formerly dual-booting quite nicely. And the painful part was that while messing with the drive's partitions, I successfully messed up Windows 7 as well, and so I had to start fresh with its DVD, and re-install that
one, and then spend hours getting its updates (100+) put back in, so it now conforms again to the Service Pack 1 configuration, and then begin putting in
all those third-party programs we all love to have handy. I'm still not done all that, but I've now got the essentials working again, like the mail, and the favorite browser, and the photo-editing and icon-making ones and a few others.

Maybe it was time for a freshening up of the whole works, but I hadn't really planned on quite that much all at once. But I'm not terribly sorry about losing one of these Windows 8 ones. The Windows 8, in spite of the hype we're fed,  about the future of software and all, really isn't as convenient as Windows 7 for those like me who simply want to use a regular keyboard and mouse equipped desktop computer. It also has unpleasant reminders of Vasta Vista's paranoic
security with those pesky permissions for this and that. So I'm not going to miss it a whole lot. I don't see it as any kind of "gotta-have-it" situation.
Hell, there's still guys scratching things on flat rocks somewhere, so a program
like Windows 7 will do me just fine, thanks. And it's paid for already.

No comments:

Post a Comment