Thursday, May 3, 2012

Your Security Programs and conflicts


I have more than one anti-virus program on my computer, because it's always good to have a second opinion, or a well-rated alternative for a back-up. This one got disabled this morning by another one.


This is the one that disabled Malwarebytes. It did it because I wasn't paying attention when it popped up a warning about finding a Root-kit on my computer called "mbamswissarmy.sys". I had just completed a scan with Malwarebytes, and that's probably what woke up Avast to the fact that it isn't alone on here. And that file extension ".sys" should have been my first clue that something was not exactly OK when Avast cried 'Wolf'. Because: a file ending with the extension ".sys" is obviously a system file, and system files usually aren't identified as rootkits. 

I let Avast do another scan, and then I had to re-install Malwarebytes to get it complete again. But it wasn't a total waste - it had been updated with a new version since mine was installed, so I now have their latest. And in case you're getting the wrong impression from all this, Avast 7 is the best of the freebie anti-virus programs out there today. It has more features doing more things quicker than anybody, and I'm very happy with it. So why don't I buy a copy then? Because I'm a cheap bastard, and I'm testing Win-8, and I can't keep it on here forever, so I don't want to waste the grocery money, OK?
And I already have a hardware firewall, a software firewall, and a couple of other security programs, like Superantispyware. Get the picture?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment