Monday, July 1, 2013

PC 'housecleaning' - faster Win-8.1 Preview boot-up

Thank You, Glary Utilities - you do very nice work!
 
Changing the subject, I continued testing the installation of other security programs into Windows 8.1 Pro Preview after I finished the previous posting, and successfully installed Comodo Internet Security, and the Comodo Dragon, and a couple of other unexpected features along with all that, and it all installed and updated, and made a whole series of changes that made me rather nervous including changing my browser to Yahoo!, the Wahoo of the Yoo-Hoo Fraternity
of Seeker Softwares. Me? I'm a traditionalist when it comes to browsing - I like the one I started with - Firefox. But that wasn't the worst of it....
 
As the installation dust is slowly settling over the desktop, up comes an urgent message from Action Central telling me that Windows Defender shouldn't try to co-exist with The Dragon. So I turned off Defender. Then I noticed that Comodo had rather rudely turfed out one of my two Heads-Up Displays. The Weather one had vanished without so much as a 'good-bye'. I liked that one, and I didn't plan on losing it. Comodo said it was potentially malicious file. That told me something about Comodo right there, because three other security programs including Windows Defender haven't found anything wrong with those two little gadgets providing the time and weather in a 'heads-up' format up in the upper right of the monitor. So that, coupled with the fact that Comodo's supplementary features seemed to be trying to take over my system on me was more than enough to tip the balance in favor of dumping that whole bloated works. And then I discovered that it had busted Windows Defender's Real Time Protection module, which System Restore then had to fix for me.
 
And during a search for help on Microsoft sites while trying to fix Defender, I am
told 'Your system cannot run Windows Defender' (Security Essentials was suggested). I go onto the Security Essentials website, even though I know that Defender came built into Win 8.1 and works fine in it, and there I get the word
that Security Essentials will not run on this operating system. Right there, I began wondering if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing down there in Redmond, on the Mighty Microsoft campus..... and fortunately, the problem more or less solved itself, when System Restore fixed it for me. 
 
Being a Test Pilot for a new operating system's shakedown flights gets exciting sometimes. And that's good, because I'm too old to chase the girls, and the doctor won't let me smoke or drink, so I need something to do for fun. And while battling the Comodo Dragon earlier, I got thinking that what we ought to have at times like that is a program that's 90% industrial strength shredder and 10% Pitt Bull, so we could put it up against that unwanted one and let it just chew it all to ratshit..... And joking aside, Filemenu Tools has just about that very thing in it - a military strength shredder, and a tool for unlocking locked files. It's a freebie, and goes onto your right-click menus, and it's very handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment