Monday, April 13, 2015

Windows 10: Why I quit testing it....

If anyone's wondering why I quit testing Windows 10, it was mostly because I got a little bit bored by that whole process. This was the third operating system that I've helped to test, and it's a rather thankless chore. 

You get to see what the newest thing out is going to look like, and try out its features, and send in your feedback, but nothing ever comes back to let you know if that is helping or not. Meanwhile, you're using an imperfect system with unfinished features. Take Cortana for an example. It's supposed to be working OK in the American releases of Windows Technical Preview, yet my computer, using the exact same American English language settings, and only 150 miles from Mighty Microsoft's home base can't get the damned thing for some as yet unknown reason. That, to me, seems utterly retarded. How the hell can I test something if it isn't included in my flavor of the damned system?

And then to get a download of a new release of the system which wouldn't even completely install, after three attempts - and believe me, I know how to do that, that was the very last straw! So I wiped that partition, got out my disc of the Windows 7 Home Premium which had previously been on there, and put it back. I will wait for the Win-10 that's actually ready for Prime Time. It's going to be a 'freebie' anyway, so why am I busting my ass over it?  I just hope that when it does arrive, it really does meet most of our expectations.

One of the big problems that I seem to be having with all of that has been that the multitasking features of this more and more complicated system are at times working against one another. When one program finishes with some auxiliary feature, that isn't ending its process because something else has also been using some of it. This gets things confused, and then suddenly the whole desktop freezes up, and Explorer.exe stops working, and the only way out of it is to manually force a reboot of the computer. In other words, all these fancy bells and whistles are interfering with each other though unterminated hooks in auxiliary feature sets, and causing crashes of the desktop. And it's very annoying, as you may imagine. There seems to be too many layers trying to do too much at the same time, and they really ought to do something about that. Put a millisecond or two between those, so it can be prioritized to avoid crashes maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Ray, I feel your pain.

    I just ran into a similar situation today with QuickBooks. They made a change in the 2105 version, that everyone is complaining about including myself. Have the fixed it? NO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seems to be a general problem with most computer programs. It all begins with grand ideas, of the half-vast variety, and not all of those ever seem to b e finished.

    Microsoft, we all talk about. Google has the same kind of problems in that they will start some really exciting project, and develop it semi-completely, then seemingly lose interest, and go off somewhere else and never return to put the complete finishing touches to it. And then they wonder why we complain about about the half-assed workmanship.

    ReplyDelete