Sunday, September 7, 2014

WHAZZAMATTAWIDYOO, MIGHTY MICROSOFT??????????

After forever bugging me to upgrade Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1, the whole thing starts up, ties up my computer for the better part of 45 minutes, and then says, "We couldn't complete the upgrade and are reverting your computer to its previous system."

If your Windows 8.1 upgrade turned into another Microsoft fuck-up, please click here.

On this above link, 2 weeks ago, someone wrote in the comments as follows:-
Thank you very much, that worked. If anybody is interested, I could not find how to start command prompt, so I used Control panels> Services instead. Does the same thing.


Here's how to find your Command Prompt in Windows 8:-


Move your Mouse into the upper right corner of your screen, until the icons appear, and then select the magnifying glass icon meaning Search, and in the
little white box for searching, type in Command Prompt, and click the little icon
in the little blue box at the end of that line. You will then see what's showing in
the upper left of the above screenshot.......Right-click inside that box.....



It turns light blue as shown, and the taskbar in light blue appears along the bottom of the screen. Click on Run As Administrator, and it will bring up your Administrator Command Prompt.

It's also a nice idea, before you leave that screen, to click the other icon in that bottom taskbar marked Pin To Taskbar. - You don't see that in mine above here, because I've already done that, so mine has changed now to the only other choice I have - Unpin it. Any Questions?

Update:  9Sept2014:

If you've just tuned in, may I offer a short scene-setting, please? I got Windows 8 on a special deal offered to us beta-testers, and I've had it ever since, and I have "tweaked it" with quite a few non-Microsoft third-party "freebies" which add into it a lot of nice touches that we're all familiar with from Windows 7, for example. "Like what?" you ask. Like those Gadgets on the Desktop that Mighty Microsoft in its haste to push multi-touch screens told us were a "security risk",
while they assumed we were too stupid to figure out that whatever anti-virus or anti-malware or anti-spyware (got 'em all!) we have is protecting our Gadgets at the same time as everything else on here. (Do I look like I just fell off the turnip truck?) - and other things, like my own favorite media player (Winamp) and my own home-grown sets of Windows Themes, and a lot of programs off the web that would be and are lost when Microsoft does its "Upgrade".

Microsoft's upgrades only save your personal data, meaning Documents folder, Pictures folder, and like that, but it does not save any non-Microsoft programs or features which you have found elsewhere and added into the system yourself.
Like various third-party Apps, or Irfan Skiljan's wonderful 'freebie' image-editing program Irfanview, which you can find here, or Stellarium, the full-featured planetarium for your computer, with which, if you wish, you can change your home base for viewing the heavens from wherever you are located on Earth to any planet of your choice, like Mars, for example. (The sky from Mars looks similar to our own, except there's no Mars in it, because we're on it! And the Earth is a tiny little speck we can hardly see from there! Cool!) You should try this one - You'll probably love it! And yes, it's another famous "freebie".

I've already installed and removed Windows 8.1 on both my desktop PCs, not just once, but twice, and I'm tired of having to re-install all my own pet programs each time. Windows 8.1, as I've said before, can't do anything for me that I can't already do on my "tweaked" version of Windows 8. So, am I upset about Windows 8.1 free upgrade not completing as planned? Not at all - in fact,
I'm just delighted, because now I know that Microsoft's automatic updating will not likely be able to mess up what I have here, even if I'm not paying attention.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment