Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Adding to TC[Girl]'s list of Sun Songs.....

Let's not forget that old standard from the Roaring Twenties, 'At Sundown' - done here by Ruth Etting who was the inspiration for a Doris Day movie in the fifties called 'Love Me or Leave Me', which was the title of another of Ruth Etting's big hits in the 1920s and 1930s. I like the music from back then, because it had words we could understand and remember, and it had tunes we could whistle or sing along with, if we liked. And you didn't put your back out, trying to keep time to the music of them as a rule, unless of course you were into the Charleston or The Black Bottom, or something like The Tapioca.....( I love that tune!) But here is Ruthie, doing At Sundown. 

And while we're strolling down Memory Lane again, but thinking of our less than wonderful weather, here's 'The Clouds Will Soon Roll By' 

These oldies are so good, I can't hardly quit - so here's one more,  with another tune from that same 'Pennies From Heaven' movie of 1981, starring Bernadette Peters and Steve Martin. Its music was all authentic oldies from the Roaring Twenties, done by the original artists who first made it popular, and some of these are really classics. Here's 'Yes, Yes - My Baby Said Yes, Yes' and it really moves.

Here's a number with Bernadette Peters and the kids, from that same old movie, 'Pennies From Heaven' in a dream sequence: 'Love Is Good For Anything That Ails You'.




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Bernadette Peters! I didn't think anyone but I knew of her! lol!

    Did you ever see her in 'Heart Beeps?' Have to admit that it's been so long that I can barely even remember it, anymore, myself, but...I do remember getting a kick out of it, at the time! :-) Time to watch it, again, I guess! :-)

    (lol! Captcha: "unsad" Yes...it's true...when I think of music and movies, I am..."unsad!" Very fitting! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ TC[Girl] -

    Did you know that Bernadette has a couple of LPs dating back to 1979 and 1981, the covers on which had the artwork done by Alberto Vargas, the famous illustrator who did those pinups called 'Vargas Girls'..... his drawings of Bernadette are great.

    I'll see if I can fit parts of them into my scanner, and if so, I'll send you an email with them.

    ReplyDelete