Saturday, October 29, 2011

This just in from Tommy's place.....


So it seems that I was wrong - the state of New York isn't in the Banana Belt after all. Damn! I was sure that away down there in the sunny south, those banana trees would be sprouting at the rate of about half an inch an hour!

Today's 'Question Everything' is: "Does your local WalMart sell studded snow tires down there?" I think I'd get me some, if I were you, judging by that prematurely winterish climate you seem to have there.

Winter driving tip: To defrost or de-ice the outside of your windshield in a hurry, get a little empty spray-pumper bottle, like an old Windex bottle, and put some Isopropanol 99% in it, and give your windshield a few squirts of that to melt a light coating of snow, or morning frost, or even ice from it. The Isopropanol is also known as Rubbing Alcohol, but there's two different strengths of that, usually, and you want the pure (99%) stuff, not the 70% which is diluted with water. For what you're going to use it on, it doesn't need to be diluted beforehand. This stuff saves a lot of scraping of windows and windshields when you just want to get going. Try it!

2 comments:

  1. "New York isn't in the Banana Belt after all." :-) Good one Ray, I'll just run out back and grab you a bunch...

    At least, now that the power is back on, I can post again. We had so many banana's on that darn tree that it came down and tore down the power lines with it. My neighbors are real mad at me these days.. :-)

    Interesting point; my son lives in Vermont up near the Canadian border and they didn't get ANY snow. All he could say was "ha ha". I mean how ungreatful can you be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tommy -

    About your son saying "ha ha" - just be thankful he didn't ask for money or to borrow the car until his is fixed, or even worse, ask for the loan of your motorcycle.... there are some things we just don't lend,
    no matter what, no matter who.
    The wife and the chainsaw being two
    at the top of the list....but you may have your own favorites, so don't let me influence you at all.

    ReplyDelete