Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Windows 8 - the saga continues.....

Windows 8 has been working quite well so far, and I haven't found any snags to complain about yet, except for one or two minor annoyances related to features which remind me of the paranoiac redundancies that were built into Vista. Do I really need three steps including confirmation to get from looking into the Recycle Bin to then emptying it? I don't think so. That reminds me of the old "You must have Administrator rights to perform this operation", or "Are you sure you really want to do this?" or "Did you bring a note from your Mother authorizing you to do this?" or "Do you now or have you ever known Osama Bin Missing?" That kind of totally superfluous crap that nobody needs and nobody wants at a hundred and some bucks a slice for the program. We're buying a useful computer program, not a goddamned lecture from some distant authority figure with too high an opinion of his or her own worth to the system. If we want parental guidance, we will consult a parent, not someone we're paying to presumably make our lives easier, rather than more complicated. All you Microsoftians listen up here. This is your paycheck speaking.

And if, like me, you've just added some improved hardware to your pet PC and aren't terribly anxious to trash it in favor of a fancy new all-in-one with a price that could choke a horse, there's good news. You can buy a reasonably-priced touch screen monitor that simply plugs into your pet PC and gives it touchscreen features, once you connect a USB cable to it so the monitor can talk to the PC and share its touch configurations with the main system. And around $300 beats the hell out of $1100 to $1800 or so for a new all-in-one with all the bells and whistles clanging and whistling for you. Would I lie to you?

P.S. -
Wondering why I wouldn't get a new all-in-one instead of getting a new monitor with touch to plug into my existing pet PC?  Because: Some of these sexy new all-in-ones don't have the same quality of graphics cards (for example) that I have in my old Acer AM5100, so I can expect better performance from adding a new touch-enabled monitor to this existing PC than I'd get from a new all-in-one. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED my Acer, too, only...it couldn't "handle" me, either; I tend to have way too many windows/tabs open @ one time, I'm *that* ADD!! I can't just "graze" on one article at a time; I'm, CONSTANTLY, "moving forward" with a GOB of screens of "I'll get back to that's" open...

    I'm going to try an AirBook, next time, 'cuz I have heard about how powerful they are and...that's just what I need! My Acer lasted about 6 years; it'll be interesting to see how long this ASUS lasts.

    ReplyDelete