Thursday, September 24, 2009

During rushhour we all pay a price...


....And even if we've been retired for years, we still have to listen to the noise from these traffic helicopters with their 'eye-in-the-sky' cameras, showing the folks at home what they're missing by not being out there playing in the traffic. The sad part of all this being that a healthy adult on a bicycle can make better time around the city during rushhour than the unfortunates trapped in their cars, admiring each other's exhaust pipes, and fervently wishing everything would just start moving again like it did back in the Good Old Days, when men were men and the gals were just naturally double-breasted. Ever wonder why they make the new cars capable of 130 MPH when it's impossible to get yours going faster  than the kid next door on his 21-speed bike? What's wrong with this picture? And please don't all yell at once. I'm fighting off the Swine Flu and my nerves are already shot...
 

4 comments:

  1. Swine flu? Best wishes for recovery! Oink!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's what it is. On the news here, they say that if anyone has flu-like symptoms these days, it
    is most likely the Swine Flu, because the ordinary variety isn't in season yet.

    This hit like a ton of bricks last weekend, with a very sore throat, and congested head & chest. It's now mostly better, but I'm still coughing and sniffling. Reports that this isn't as severe as the annual flu epidemics we have seen
    aren't correct in my experience.
    This one really clogged me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So please do take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll do my best, thanks.

    That was a particularly harsh sore throat, but we have a product over here called 'Cepacol' (with a - above the 'e' which I can't do on here) and it is both anaesthetic and antibacterial. There's 18 lozenges in a package, and the directions are to slowly dissolve one in the mouth and repeat every two hours. These will numb the throat and soothe the soreness.

    Other than that, it's just a matter of keeping lots of tissues handy, drinking lots of fluids to replace those you're losing, and try to outlive it as best you can.

    It doesn't live up to its advanced publicity, but then neither do I,
    and I've probably had worse. (Did I ever tell you about my first mother-in-law, Old Fang?)

    ReplyDelete