Friday, September 25, 2009

Another nice day in British Properties


I'm still getting used to Google's new composition editor, with added variables. Not bad, but my biggest beef with this whole Blogger thing is that every time I write something on here, I usually have to go back through it, and re-format all the text, because Google's system isn't word-wrapping ends of lines consistently. I guess this is part of the price we pay for getting a 'free' blog page. On the other free community blog I first began blogging on, this kind of problem never happened. There was only one thing wrong with it - there
were only about five of us regularly blogging on it, and the other four guys all worked for the company that created its programming. I eventually got tired of slaving away in good old Obscurity, valiantly trying to breathe a little life into that dead horse, and gave it up.
That's when I decided to move to Blogger, and see how this goes.

I'm thinking that the experts are right when they say that most regular blogs these days have become corporate advertising media, and the rest have died on the vine from lack of interest, or insufficient capital, or sheer exhaustion, or something. Blogs are only worth doing if others read them, and the Technorati people did a survey about that, and found that over 97 percent of all the hundred-million-plus blogs in the world were basically just 'labors of love' wherein their authors were slaving away in beautiful downtown Obscurity, where writers are too plentiful, and readers left there ages ago.

This leaves only about three percent of us who have any readers at all, other than ourselves, and included in that three percent would have to be all those corporate or professional bloggers who are basically doing a regular newspaper column type thing, but over the Internet instead of in your local daily rag where it probably belongs. If I wanted junk mail I wouldn't have two kinds of spam filters and an automatic deleting program activated in my email client. But nothing's forever, and the blogging scene was ripe for a take-over by the professional bullshit-to-go types. Too bad - it was a great concept while it lasted.....

 

2 comments:

  1. I installed blogger so that I could share my thoughts with others. Remains the identity problem... you wouldn't talk about everything as clearly as you wanted if you knew your neighbour is listening (except for attempting to show signs of love for want of a relationship). That's why on flickr, I'm pretty open to the public, and very open, almost private, to the "friends" category. Whereas here on blogger I don't really want to show who I am. Although I'm writing decently and responsibly I do not really want my boss to read my stuff. That's why I cut all links from flickr and Twitter relating to this blog. Even so I take great care in staying decent. I'm a free, but responsible adult. FRA.

    Have a good weekend, Ray. Sunny here in D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably a good thing that I didn't get going with the blogging during my working career. Back then, of course, we didn't have the Internet or blogs, and most of us didn't even use computers, except at work, where those were on a private corporate network, and carefully restricted.

    Now that I've been retired for years, I can let it fly when the urge hits me, and yet strangely enough, I don't think I'd get any satisfaction from ripping into those shitheads I once worked for.
    The best revenge is just to outlive the bastards, and I already have done that in most cases. There are very few of them left, and that suits me just fine.

    But I understand where you're coming from about bosses. So try to remember the old proverb:-
    Slaves may come and slaves may go, but the Pharaoh lives forever.

    Enjoy your weekend, Monsieur.

    ReplyDelete