Sunday, October 20, 2013

Attention Windows 8.1 downloaders: Lotsa luck !

Color me totally pissed off at Microsoft. And that's as nicely as I can put it.

When I tried to get the download to upgrade my Windows 8.0 to 8.1, the Windows Store website didn't offer it, and I learned I had to have Microsoft's KB2871389 installed first. Checking that and attempting to download it, I'm told "You already have this update installed". Fine - so why the hell can't Windows see the goddamned thing? I located it in a list of installed updates, highlighted it, and then gave it a kick in the ass. Finally, Windows saw it. I went back onto the downloads site in Windows Store, where I was now offered my free upgrade. I got it started, 2.8 Gb, and was told, "You may continue working. We will notify you when the next step is ready." All this was at about 7:00 A.M. this morning. By 10:00 A.M., I'm getting a little antsy about this, so I checked on its progress. You'll enjoy this part. Looking at the progress indicator and right-clicking for a pop-up with text, I'm informed "Downloading, 37% complete." And that's like three hours plus since the beginning.  I said several unprintable things, cancelled the download, cleaned out the Temp files, defragmented the drive, and here I am, still 8.1-less. Thanks a hell of a lot, Microsoft. So be warned, everyone. This one's a total fuck-up!

Like I said the other day, you're just as well off with your original Windows 8 plus a couple of freebie downloads to improve it some, and those don't take three hours for 37% of it. Get the 8GadgetPack for the sidebar and more gadgets than the original Windows ever had, and get the Classic Shell for a selection of choices of Start Menu and button, and other tweaks,
and you're all set. And forget Windows 8.1 - because if they'd got it right in the first place, we wouldn't need that aggravation anyway. Please feel free to quote me.

No comments:

Post a Comment