Thursday, May 9, 2013

Those Roaring Twenties - I've always loved the music


Cole Porter wrote this in early 1928, which explains the mention of 1928 in the song's lyrics, and it has a snappy 1920s Jazz Age style. Gotta love it! In a movie that got trashed by the critics, called "At Long Last Love" starring Cybill Shepard, Burt Reynolds, Madelaine Kahn, Eileen Brennan, John Hillerman, Mildred Natwick, and a cast of dozens, the cast does songs by Cole Porter, which included 'Let's Misbehave' by Shepard and Reynolds in a cute sequence.

I wish I could find this on tape or DVD, but it isn't easy - it isn't even listed in Videohound's Golden Movie Retriever, which is really unusual, because they don't miss much, even among the 'Woofers' - and I didn't think this was all that bad. I enjoyed it for the actors, the costumes, the scenery, and especially for the music. It had a hell of a soundtrack of great old tunes, and it should be brought back from wherever and given one more chance.


Here's another of my favorites from the Roaring Twenties - Helen Kane, the famous Poo-Poo-Pee-Doo Girl and inspiration for Betty Boop, doing her version of "I Want To Be Bad", more recently revived by Cyndie Lauper. Now you know where it came from....

No comments:

Post a Comment