Thursday, February 26, 2015

Looking Ahead, and Looking Back...



If predicting the future really worked, we would all have had flying cars back in the 1970s, like the Jetsons. Remember them? I'd be perfectly satisfied if the folks at Mighty Microsoft could just keep everything running smoothly in the stuff we've got right now. Predicting the future never quite works out. ( I could point to a couple of Microsoft's own creations as examples, but I won't.)





This lumbers on for seven pages! Trying to tell us blogging is dead. I don't do seven pages in a blog session. This isn't intended as bedtime therapy...

When I first started blogging about ten years ago, I chose 'Oldest Living Blogger' as my 'handle' because I thought it would grab eyeballs. It did, but it turns out those eyeballs were attached to a bunch of whining mouths, saying "No, you're not!". And I thought, 'Aw, shit - get off my back! It's a literary device, not a birth record!' Although, I am older than nuclear fission. It wasn't discovered until 1934. I was discovered in 1932.

Is blogging dead? I don't know - I'm too busy doing my blog every day for the amusement and edification of between two and five hundred devoted readers. I've received 'thank you' email from Australia, for helping explain problems with Windows. The computer repairman who fixes this rig when it needs it has said that I'm one of the few guys he knows who really understands Windows. And while Microsoft thinks I'm too old to be a meaningful part of their surveys, they still pay attention to my Feedback while we're testing the latest Windows beta.

That's all because I began blogging, and needed to know more about it, and more about the operating system I've been using to do it. I love writing. Not the mushy kind of stuff in romance novels or love letters, but the kind of stuff that makes politicians change their underwear, or makes people understand something they weren't too familiar with beforehand. Or stuff that maybe gives you a smile. And this old blogger isn't dead yet. Fading away, yes. Mostly invisible to the younger folks, yes. Dead? Not quite. Reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated. And I didn't need seven pages to tell you this.

5 comments:

  1. We love your postings.

    We need blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci, monsieur, vous êtes trop gentil.

    Oder vielleicht sind Sie eine neue Brille brauchen....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Tommy -

    Monsieur Beep lives in Germany, and so I used the Translator to reply.

    The German says: "Or maybe you need a new pair of glasses."

    ReplyDelete
  4. my eye-sight has gotten better during the last years: I used to wear specs (near-sighted) in my 30´s, then I became far-sighted and had to wear specs for reading the papers. Today, I can do without near or far, although reading is a tad more comfortable with specs.

    Translators are machines which often produce funny things. The translation which it gave you is intellegeable but not very "smooth".
    Or maybe you need a new pair of glasses - translates into "Oder vielleicht brauchst Du (informal) / brauchen Sie (formal) eine neue Brille."

    Voila, tres bon.

    Bon jour (:-)

    ReplyDelete