Sunday, May 3, 2015

Freshening up Windows 7...

 

Earlier, I rebooted into Win-7 to update Windows, and got a full-screen page from Microsoft saying I have to validate my copy of Windows. When I looked in the lower right corner of the desktop, it's saying "This copy of Windows is not genuine", and I'm thinking "The hell it isn't! It came directly off a Microsoft installation disc that cost me full retail, and someplace here, I have the receipt to prove it!" (I get choked up quickly when something like this hits the fan.)

The Microsoft page also said, "Validating Windows - do not leave this page. This may take a few minutes."  So I said, "Fuck You, Sabu! I'm outa here!" And then I went into Control Panel, to System, where I discovered that I actually hadn't yet validated this after the latest install, when I threw out Windows 10 and put this back in its place. So I clicked on "Validate Windows" and it went into its thing, and said, "Windows is validated." Problem solved.

Then I got looking around for what else I'd forgot to finish off after this latest re-install of Windows 7 and its SP1. I discovered that I hadn't yet re-installed the forty-some Windows Themes I usually have in here, so I spent the next hour or so doing that. And now I can show you one of them which takes me back to when I was a kid during the Second World War, making balsa wood and tissue paper models of these things, and flying them with my Dad's fly rod and my Mom's number forty thread for a line.  It worked OK. In winter, I made little skis for one, and flew it off a big cutbank beside the road. It flew too well, and landed in the trees across the road, and I had a hell of a time getting it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment