Saturday, August 23, 2014

Is America just one big zoo?


And did the Keepers leave all the doors open on the cages?

Has racism in America become a popularity contest in which your dollars decide which side you're on? And how about that lawyer for the Browns, who set up the Michael Brown Memorial Fund, saying "The funds will assist his family with costs that they will acquire as they seek justice on Michael's behalf."

Translation: "They haven't got my bill yet!"

In this little book 'Quotations With An Attitude' my favorite proverb goes: "Trust in Allah but tie your camel." And then there's a Jewish one that goes: "Two farmers each claimed to own a certain cow. While one pulled on its head and the other pulled on its tail, the cow was milked by a lawyer."

While I'm in that little book, here's one more from Laurence J. Peter: "A lawyer is a man who helps you get what is coming to him."

4 comments:

  1. "A lawyer is a man who helps you get what is coming to him."

    Couldn't have said it better myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading you loud and clear!

    A lawyer once promised me a new car after the bank grabbed mine from the dealership where I'd taken it for its first 5,000-mile servicing, because the dealer declared bankruptcy while my car was in there and nobody told me until it had been hauled away by the bank for debts he owed them, plus the fact that I'd said I wasn't paying them another dollar until the dealer honored his deal to service it.

    This lawyer who promised me another new car didn't stand a chance against one of our country's biggest banks, and stupidly, I'd believed his words,
    because I wanted to believe. He sent me a bill for $2,000 which I decided to pay off at $25/month.
    The bank also wanted their money for the almost-but-not-quite new car they'd grabbed on me, the payments for which were $150/month.

    I wrote the bank from my distant location at a northern power station, and told them I wasn't able to pay them $150/month because I needed my car for a 15-mile trip to work every day, and they still had it locked up someplace - so I had to buy another. And so I could only send them $50/month, and every time they sent me a lawyer's letter or a visit from a collector, I'd divide that by two, until we were down to a dollar a month.

    They howled, and I said, "You thought I was bluffing, didn't you?" I took just over 11 years to pay off that bank, and by the time I sent the last fifty bucks, their collections manager and I were on a first names basis, and practically 'old friends', and he sent me a letter, officially confirming that the debt was now paid in full, with the comment that we had just set a new world's record for slow payments.
    He added, "I'm almost going to miss you, Ray, and all the best to you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That, is an amazing story. Of course I do understand that you were a lawyer in a past life and couldn't tell the truth if your life depended on it...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might be right about the past life, I don't know.... but years before all that took place, I had worked for a couple of years as a
    Field Rep for Industrial Acceptance and later for GMAC doing collections and re-financing on cars and trucks, so I wasn't entirely clueless about what I might be able to get away with....and so I gave it my best shot, because I didn't appreciate being screwed out of my nice new car, and I thought, "I'll teach these bastards a lesson they'll never forget!"

    And I think I did!

    ReplyDelete