Sunday, March 1, 2015

The great right-click mystery...


If I select all of these images, preparing to delete them, and then if I right-click on the selected images to try to choose "delete" from that dropdown list, I get the "busy" symbol for the mouse pointer, and the whole Desktop freezes up, and then goes blank, and then resets itself without any windows showing.



But if I choose "select all" and then go back up into the ribbon in the title bar, 
and choose "delete" from there, the images are all deleted and everything works perfectly normally.

Here in Windows Technical Preview, you can't run SFC or DISM.exe because SFC will be unable to complete your command, and DISM will tell you that it is unable to find its Source file, which it needs to reference in order to verify files. You also can't run Scanreg or Scanregw.exe because these are not recognized as legitimate commands in this system (nor in Windows 8.1).

Running the freeware ShellexView and checking highlighted suspicious files did not locate the problem. Running Glary Utilities, one of the best and most reliable choices recommended by MajorGeeks (and one I like too) to do a general tuneup of the system doesn't fix this problem. 

Going into Action Center > Maintenance > View Reliability History, and then scrolling down to the entries for Windows Explorer, and checking those error messages 'details' shows mostly "unknown" for a probable cause, and in two cases, it pointed to Windows\system32\ole32.dll and Windows\system32\svhost.exe and both of those have other items within that would need to be checked, and as part of the system files, should not be tinkered with by amateurs. So I couldn't pinpoint the problem.

The "Good News" is, because this also affects Windows Technical Preview, I'm able to include all this information in the Feedback feature of this, and sent it back to Microsoft, with the wish that someone will fix it. While it's not a matter of life and death, it's a damned nuisance, and I hope they can fix it. Most of what I've seen on this topic suggests that it happens because of something we added to our programs and features that made changes in items in the Shellex parts of the Registry, under ContextMenuHandlers....


But as you see above, there's nothing there, except the default setting. So I'm baffled by all this, and Microsoft seems to be as well. I hope they can fix it.

2 comments:

  1. Now that's interesting Ray. I, as you know, have the problem on my Window 7 Pro machine. I see you have it on Windows 8.

    On my machine, just to let others know, if I right click on a folder all seems fine. It's when I right click on an individual file that Windows Explorer fails. You can get around it by using the keyboard, but I forget sometimes and have to wait for things to settle back down again.

    Interesting, I have a laptop (Dell) that has Windows 7 Pro on it and this does not occur.

    Go figure.

    On another subject. Here on Blogger, have you noticed the little check box to be checked proving you're not a robot? Well, it seems that if you don't check the box, your comment is still posted anyway.

    Go figure, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About Blogger - I don't know how many times I've gone into settings and selected not to show that damned verification, and it still comes up, no matter what I do.
    Why give the users something that looks like a choice, if it really is not?

    ReplyDelete