Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Catholics: I feel a rant coming on....


This rant won't be terribly long. I'm Catholic. Divorced twice. Haven't been to Mass in ages, because I can't have Confession and Communion. I miss it a lot. I don't really understand why my marital incompatibilities must prevent me from the full and complete practice of the sacraments of my faith.

The Pope doesn't have this problem, so it's difficult for him to be empathic. He isn't going to Hell because he couldn't get along with a wife. We aren't going to discuss concubines, housekeepers, 'good friends', or 'best buddies'.

And at the risk of permanently putting myself on the Pope's 'shit list' I'd like to point out that the Church's policies on contraception, birth control, and family planning have been largely responsible for a population explosion resulting in over seven billions of us on a planet designed for less than half that many. And I don't need to point out that many of those - too many - are living in poverty.

Isn't it about time we took a more rational and sensible approach to all this? I'm going to die and be judged by my Creator one way or the other, but I'd really like to do it in the church of my choice. And  it was my choice. I wasn't born a Catholic. I chose to become one. I'd like to be one in good standing when everything finally fades to black. I'm sure I'm not alone in that desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment