Thursday, July 17, 2014

Windows 9

So far, just rumors, but here they are. And I have to smile at the references to 'bringing back the Start Menu' because some enterprising programmers have already given us two instances of that, and one of those offers you the choices of Start Menus from XP, Vista, or Win-7. The other is its own design, and both work well. I've tried them. One of them is shown in today's blog posts, and the other is a more comprehensive offering called Classic Shell.

And as I've pointed out before, you can also have your favorite desktop gadgets in Windows 8, if you get 8GadgetPack like I've installed on mine.  The point I'm desperately trying to make here is that there are some wonderful freebies out there which already solve most of our complaints about Windows 8, if we just install them. There's nothing wrong with Windows 8 that a couple of well-chosen freebies can't cure for you - trust me - I've been there and I'm doing that.  

3 comments:

  1. What I need them to fix in Windoz 8 is Wireless Remote Desktop. They really screwed it up. It's slow and drops out every once in a while... Dell helped my a little on this, but it's still nothing like XP and Win7 versions.

    FYI, wired by Ethernet works just fine. It's just wireless that's messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I can't help with that, because my stuff is all wired Ethernet, and like you say, that works just fine.

    Looking on the web, is this any help for you?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592687

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ray, but that's for Win 7 and Server 2008. My client computer is Win 8.

    ReplyDelete