Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Windows: Using Command Prompt.....

I was using it myself a few minutes ago, and while on there, I ran a couple of jobs that may serve as demos for your own adventures with Cmd Prompt.....

We begin with Ping, and how it can be used. I started there, because I've been playing with Ping to find out why the Pingomatic links I've used for years to send multiple pings to servers of blogs and etc. haven't been working lately. In brief, what I learned is that their IP Address numbers may have been changed recently, and even if not, there's very little difference between the IP for Pingomatic.com and Wordpress.org: Pingomatic.com = 66.155.40.249 and the one for Wordpress.org = 66.155.40.250 and I suspect they are both in the same building in downtown Atlanta, GA. However, I had better luck to Pingomatic.net, with the IP of 66.155.40.24 in case you also may be having problems with it.
Here's the snipping for the Ping info.....


And here's more Windows help, this time for DISM.exe which is short for the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool. A very useful hidden tool of Windows. (It's amazing what you can learn in Cmd Prompt by typing in a name of a tool or program, followed by one space and then a forward slash right before a question mark.) There's more than one page about this, because it can do a lot to your operating system - so please "read the directions" carefully - and here those are for you....


 Now, here I have put it to work with a set of instructions, which it finished, and then I confirmed that the system is still OK by running System File Checker....


This took a few minutes, but it's a lot quicker than some of the alternatives such as reinstalling the operating system, and it gives you much the same result, except all your own stuff stays right where you left it, and I like that a lot.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment