Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mighty Microsoft Marches On....


On the other hand, if you don't need the portability, you can get a lot more bang for your hard-earned buck with a desktop, and you won't have to shut down every few hours to wait for the battery to recharge.

With a desktop, you can open the box and add more RAM, or replace the HDD with one of larger capacity. The only way you can do that with one of these 'love-'em-or-leave-'em' portables is by buying the more expensive model. So my Question Everything is: "How do you like progress so far?"

Note added later:

If I seem a little 'snippy' here, please remember that I'm an 'old fart', and we
view the world a little differently than you do, perhaps. These cute little portables are fine for when you're young and horny and desperate, and trying to look 'with it' and 'right now', but wait a few years. When you start needing the reading glasses or contacts, or you wish the text was a bit clearer or larger, or
the screen more spacious, you'll appreciate the advantages of a desktop.

In this old desktop, I've upgraded its Graphics Card, its RAM, and replaced its Hard Drive. I've discarded its  22-inch monitor and replaced that with a 30-inch
flat screen TV which also still has its TV feed and of course its own built-in speakers. The Hard Drive is partitioned into three sections, each containing its own operating system. So I have here, in effect, the equivalent of three PCs, with a nice big screen, stereo sound, optional 72 channels of TV, and including peripherals like my Wacom pen tablet that lets me write on the screen, or edit
photos or other files. The highlighting in the above screenshots was done using
the Wacom tablet - so I've got the same capabilities as Microsoft's new tablet,
and I have had for quite a long time. This isn't a touch screen, of course, but that's just fine with me, because I can do things on here that you can't do on a touch device without added peripherals which negate your portability. And very few portables have a 30-inch screen that can also display satellite TV with a click of the remote. So you can call me an old Luddite if you wish - I don't mind a bit. And if Microsoft turns its back on its desktop foundations, that's its loss.  

No comments:

Post a Comment