Thursday, October 22, 2009

There really is a difference....

I'm now able to do this on the 'spare' computer - the one that self-destructed on September 13th, and just came back from the Acer Repair Center yesterday. It was a long afternoon and evening getting this all re-programmed to (A) clean out the several many programs that were loaded on top of Vista Home Premium (ugh!) and then (B) get it properly up-to-date with all its sixty-some updates, especially including Service Pack 2. 

That Service Pack really had me worried there for a while - it didn't want to finish installing, and then it didn't want to do its preliminary reboot-to-finish-installation routine, and then it didn't want to give me back the mouse control after all that, and I had to fumble around with the arrow keys on the keyboard until I manually rebooted, not once, but twice before it decided to begin working normally again. Thank God that Windows 7 is coming down the road even as we speak about this. I can hardly wait to kiss this Vista 'Goodbye Forever' and replace it with something that really works

And what happened with that blown 19-inch flat-screen monitor? Nothing much - it's still somewhere at the service shop where I left it - the one that's in the midst of moving from one location to another, and not done with that yet. Being the impatient type, and also knowing where to find a bigger monitor for less than I paid for that 19-inch, I'm not worried about it. I bought another 22-inch flat-screen the same as the one on the other PC here, and everything's working nicely again. Except me, of course - I've got a hitch in my gitalong, my get-up-and-go has all got up and went, and my sex life is only two-thirds as good as it used to be - I can still think about it, and still talk about it. That's the trouble with old age, Kiddies - you can remember when you weren't. And that's what really hurts!

2 comments:

  1. Such is life, Ray....

    Even so enjoy!!

    You will, of which I´m sure!

    You can´t do anything more than what you´re already doing to keep yourself fit both mentally and physically.

    Have a good day or night, I don´t know what´s up next for you. lol. Here in good ole orderly Germantown it´s Nacht.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just after noon-hour here, (12:20PM) so I'm never sure whether you'll be up and about either...

    After working half the night to get that newly-replaced Vista up to date,
    it suddenly began refusing to reboot for me this morning. So I grabbed my DVD of Windows 7 RC, and I'm now in the midst of installing that on it.... More later, when it's all done. They are not supplying the key codes for this since yesterday, because the retail versions come out today - but I've got several sets of key codes for it around here anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.
    I just couldn't wait for my pre-ordered retail version to get here - this Vista was driving me nuts - I don't think I've ever tried to use a more frustrating program!

    ReplyDelete