Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Those pop-ups and their URLs

Even though I have the latest version of Firefox, and it is set to block popups, and I've also added several of the more obnoxious offenders to the 'Block' list, I still got one the other day that made me curious.

I clicked on its little window in the upper left of my screen, and then I dragged the edge of its window to the right - far over to the right - until I was running out of desktop. All this time, the URL is stretching out more and more, but not ending yet. Finally, just before I had dragged that window frame right off the right-hand edge, I got to the end of that long URL.

Just for fun, I grabbed a plastic ruler and measured it. That URL, from its start to its end was fifteen and seven-eighths inches long! It's a good thing this is a 22-inch monitor, because I needed the width on that one. And whose was it? I can't duplicate the whole thing, because I finally got the blocker working again, and can't re-visit it just now, but it begins with: http://www.core.insightexpressai.com/ and then runs on from there for about a week and a half, or so it seemed. If you get anything like this, add it to your 'blocked' list. Copy its URL before you delete it, and then paste that into your block list. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment