Thursday, March 6, 2014

'Cosmos' returns.....




Has it really been 34 years since the original hit our TV screens in September of 1980? A lot has happened since then, of course, but on a cosmic time scale, that's hardly a noticeable nanosecond. And I hope we're all a lot more atuned to
our scientifically wonderful universe now than we were then. Today, we're getting pictures back from NASA's Curiosity rover on Mars, and the universe seems somehow just a little more personal than it did 35 or 40 years ago.

We still don't know what it all goes together to make, however, because we can't see enough of it to get 'the big picture', without which it's anyone's guess
and mine's perhaps almost as good as yours.

Looking 'out there' on a clear night, there's stars everywhere. And every one is a self-contained thermonuclear reactor emitting radiation of various kinds, and therefore experiencing radioactive decay. Our scientists talk about the origin of this universe beginning with a Big Bang. So I have to ask: "Was this Big Bang an unbelievably large thermonuclear explosion in some alternate universe having a much larger dimension than ours?" - "Are we part of an expanding cloud of radioactive gases and dust resulting from that original explosion?" And were we and our universe created not by a benevolent God but by someone setting off an H-bomb of relatively huge proportions in that alternate universe? 

That's my Question Everything for today, Folks. Think about it... but don't get your knickers in a twist while doing that. And try to remember I'm simply postulating a theory here, not stating my personal beliefs - so don't leave me a lot of evangelistic comments. I'm just trying to get you to consider possibilities.



3 comments:

  1. I really loved that show and watch it reguarlly Ray. I hope to see this remake.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too - I'd love to find out what it's all about. So many questions, and so few answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know what show I'm going to be watching on Sunday....

    ReplyDelete