Thursday, March 6, 2014

This just in from Canada Revenue Agency.....

I have to say, the Canada Revenue Agency (or 'Revenue Canada' as us oldies are in the habit of thinking of it) has become a lot more user-friendly. 

When I filed my tax return electronically on February 15th, it was accepted and processed, and I got the refund back in six working days. Six days! Fantastic.

Then, along comes another T4A slip, showing additional income in the form of health plan benefits, and a small insurance premium paid on my behalf to some life insurance company. So I had to add another $82 to my declared income, and I expected that to result in a real mess. I was wrong.

I called the electronic filing help line and asked a nice little girl what to do, and she said "Log into your 'My Account' and I'll help you fix it up." She directed me to the proper places to add the corrections, and the system accepted those, and reported that my additional tax would be $7.07, and within two weeks they would re-assess my return and confirm this. The little girl said not to worry about it until the new assessment arrives with the new information.

I didn't have to go to anyone's office, or re-do the return, or anything like that.
It was relatively quite painless, and that surprises me, because I can remember when dealing with the Income Tax people was a lot like dealing with a hostile foreign country. It's definitely improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment