Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Am I becoming a hypochondriac? I'm starting to wonder...

Talking with the therapist at the hospital on a video call which began about my left hand, I mentioned that the right hand has been feeling weird since last evening about 9:00 PM,  and she said, "You'd better get that checked out."

Long story short, I've just spent most of another day in the ER at the hospital, where they decided to do another CT scan. The good news is, there's no change in that from the one on June 9th. So whatever's wrong with my right hand isn't another TIA or minor stroke - it's something less serious. The doctor said it could be a number of different things, like carpal tunnel, or a pinched nerve. I'm obviously the worrying type, and I wish I wasn't quite so much. The staff there are saying things like, "Mr. Sutton - I remember you - how are you?" I'm tempted to reply, "Just as stupid as I was the last time..." 


Obviously, I'm not well prepared for old age and everything fading to black, and all like that. And I haven't found a course to teach me the finer points of preparing for the big finish, in case there even is one. I'd like to be dignified and gracious about all that, but there's still too much of the mean little kid in me. I still want to ride my bike in the park, and admire the pretty girls, while I try not to think about my wasted youth and missed opportunities.... and I'd like to win a really big lottery, so I could get my name on something at the hospital for being a big-spending donor. I can't think of a better cause.

In bed there today, awaiting results, I mentioned to my busy nurse that I'd had a look outside while waiting my turn for the scan, and the weather has cleared off beautifully. I suggested that if she got a chance to sneak away early, to  by all means go for it. She said, "I'm here until 7:30 PM." I said, "Wow! How long's your shift?" She replied "12 hours!" And now I know for sure why we should be grateful for their service. She was really busy, and yet kept a very pleasant and helpful attitude. I don't think I could do that for 12 hours. It can't be easy.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts; you put “it all” into words so well. I’m having thoughts like yours, too, more & more often the “older” I get.

    I think sooner or later everyone has got to face thoughts like these and come to terms with them, everybody handling them in a different way.

    Greetings from good ole. (Paco)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now go and enjoy the photons, the warm wind from the prairie, the girls, and so much more which there is.... 👠😎❤️🐶🦴🐶🦴👋🎈

    ReplyDelete