Thursday, July 16, 2020

Computing without Mighty Microsoft's Windows...


Weening myself off Windows Ten is a lot more fun than you have been led to believe, and it's working for me. It can for you, too.

Today, I'm amusing myself with the very latest Linux Mint, version 20. It has a new feature, resurrected from a long-ago previous version and then improved to today's standards, which does much like Microsoft's now-defunct 'Homegroup', for file-sharing between two devices running Linux. I'd love to try it, but unfortunately, I don't have two devices running Linux at the moment. Linux usually works so well, I don't really need a second one standing by for a spare to help me get up and running on the first one again when it goes down. (Another reason for leaving Windows operating system!)

My other computer is an almost-new notebook, which I haven't even finished configuring yet. Because..... "Because why, Ray?" - because I'm having too much fun with Linux. And the notebook has Mighty Microsoft's wonderful Windows 10 on it. And Windows 10 of course really isn't 'ten' at all. It's really a 'nine', following Windows 8 and 8.1. But they were afraid to call it 'nine' because 'Nein' in German means 'No' - and a significant percentage of the American population are of German descent, euphemistically calling themselves silly things like "Pennsylvania Dutch", as if that excused them from joining World War Two for over two years, and not then until the Nazis had a long range bomber said to be capable of reaching North America, and not even then until the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and really got their attention. And yes, my new notebook came with Win-10 Home on it.

There's only two programs I want but can't run on Linux. Those are Irfan Skiljan's wonderful graphics and photo editing program, Irfanview, and Microsoft Research's Image Composite Editor - the world's absolute best panorama-making program. If you're running Windows, then have a look at those. You'll be glad you did. And these two programs are the only reason I haven't already wiped Microsoft's Windows off this new notebook in favor of Linux.

Here's a few samples of the thousands of programs available for Linux in its many and various incarnations...







No comments:

Post a Comment