Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mystery Solved.... ( more PC-BSD)


For the past two or three days, I've been trying out alternate choices of Desktops to run as a 'front end' on PC-BSD, and one that I liked suddenly began adding virtual desktops to the taskbar panel, until I got a warning that the drive was nearly full, and I should remove something or connect an external drive. This was acting like a 'compression bomb' that suddenly replicates itself until there isn't a pixel left unused. So I got a bit concerned.

I couldn't believe that this 145 Gb partition could possibly be full already, so I went into the Konsole (above) and asked for a look at it. As it shows, there's only 13% of it being used, and it still has 124 Gb where the hand of man has not yet set foot, as little 'Pogo' might have said of the situation.

So I went into the packages manager, where these extra bits are stashed, and gently but firmly removed all but one of the active Desktops. No more nags about a full disk. And as I suspected, it never was anywhere near full. I should look for a widget that displays the percent used on the partition, but it's almost as easy to just question the command prompt facility, and read about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment