Sunday, June 30, 2019

Pictures from Thursday, in another city park, closer to home....

A 'greenhouse' at the Nursery nearby.

Zoomed into the doorway, to see what's growing...

The sign on their gate says it all...

The two towers behind the trees are two of our six here.

A Hydrangea filling out its blooms outside their fence.

Close-up of one of its blooms.

The north face of the 4-lane Highway One bridge over the Capilano River.

More inclusive view of it. You can't see its patchy potholes from down here.

The bridge makes a good carport.

Beyond the bridge, on a forest access road along the river, I saw these.

This is a closer look. I have no idea what these are, but they are pretty.

This is a typical view of the forest access road along the west side of the river.


A 'stone's throw' from my building, at the corner of Keith Road, which runs on east to that bridge shown earlier, and 3rd Street (N to S). This used to be a small 2-bedroom farmhouse on an empty lot that once was a small farm owned by this resident's father. A big old Western Hemlock stood just between the wall of the present house and that (new) power pole on the street's edge. Just before the old homestead was demolished to make way for this magnificent spread, I took a picture of it from my balcony, and gave it to them. They said they would never cut down his father's big tree. A few months ago, I heard the chainsaws of a tree-trimmer over there, and sure enough, the big tree is gone!
There's nothing sacred any more....



Here's a panorama composite of it from the driveway of this smaller additional place they now have in what once was 'the back yard' where the kids played. This guy has obviously parlayed the old man's little farm into a fortune in real estate, and good on him! Around at the front, which fronts on 3rd Street at the intersection, there's a two-car garage entrance, and beside it, something that looks like either a tour bus or a fancy big motor home. It's nice to have money, especially when you don't have to work for it. 


This is up the hill on 3rd Street, so I could get a couple of pictures of my own digs here from beyond the tall timber. And that's it, center left, beyond the trees.


And this is a closer look at the north end of this 20-storey building, built in 1972/3/4 approximately.


And I'm here, someplace. This is the third apartment I've rented in this building since 1981, in addition to two others in the adjoining building just east of this one. I probably should have bought one of them. When these first were converted by the original builder, Daon Developments, from all rentals to self-owned, in 1981/2, I could have had a one bedroom here, then only 7 or 8 years old, for about $35,900. Right now, this little studio is priced at around $300,000 and it's 46 or 47 years old, and needing a reno. I obviously don't understand the real estate game. It's the only game in town where 'old' is worth more than 'new', and that makes no sense to me at all. If this was a car, you couldn't give the damned thing away! You'd have to pay someone to haul it to the junkyard. But I'm not complaining. This has been home now since October 1st, 1996, and with any luck at all, it will continue to be, as long as I need one. At 86, after all, nothing's forever. But I'm still riding my bike in the park, and chasing pretty girls on theirs, so it's not all bad... As they say, "It's better to burn out than rust."

No comments:

Post a Comment