Monday, November 17, 2014

Windows 10 Technical Preview....


This is what I tried to do but didn't, the other day - and it was entirely my own fault! I made a couple of stupid boo-boos in my haste to get started, and so it didn't pan out like I hoped. But today, with a good cup of coffee, and paying attention to what I'm doing, Voila! Windows 10 Technical Preview! And yes, it has a Start Button, so I don't have to make my own. And it runs 8GadgetPack as you see in the above screenshot. I'll have more later, but for now, it looks like this one may be what we were looking for last time. You should try it!

And now you know what I meant the other day when I said that it was probably not worthwhile updating from Windows 8 to 8.1, because this new Windows 10 was almost upon us. Like it arrived at my place this morning.... and now I have to get back to it, and finish dressing it up with a few more goodies. But I just couldn't resist showing you that it's here and working just fine, thanks. And if it's anything like the betas of Win-7 and Win-8, I won't need to worry about using it on my primary PC. Besides, I've now got three operating systems on here: Windows 10 Technical Preview, Windows 8 Pro, and Windows 7 SP1. And yes, they're all quite happy together.


 
Want proof? This picture of the Amaryllis is in my Pictures folder in Win-8 Pro, and I've just accessed it from here and added it to this posting. So for those who may be wondering if Win-10 is going to be a winner, I'd like to say that it probably will be. It solves a lot of the complaints that all you snivelers and I have been complaining about, and I didn't even have to write a long-winded email to little Sally at Microsoft. Maybe they remembered the last one...but in any case, you really ought to try this one - I think you'll like it.

 


 
If you are dual or triple booting, as above, then this is the program you should have if you want to rename or otherwise fine-tune the arrangement, or just to confirm that everything is as you thought. The freebie version is all you need.
 
Here's something else you should have, especially when you're dressing up a new operating system, and you have a lot of windows open - this can organize the clutter for you.....if you right-click a window's title bar, Winroll will roll it up into that title bar, and then one more right-click restores it. I love this program, and it's a 'freebie' and it works in Win-10, as well as Win-7, Win-8, etc.
 


Here's two open windows, one on top of another, with Winroll installed. Now just watch what Winroll does with these big windows......

It gives you back your desktop, yet those windows are just a right-click away. Neat, huh? I've used this for years, and it's wonderful. You should get it.

Here's something else that's very handy; The Ultimate Windows Tweaker, and among other things, it removes those ugly arrows from your desktop icons for shortcuts....

But first, you need to go into Control Panel to Programs and Features, and on the left margin, choose 'Turn Windows features on or off' and then when the list appears, select the first item, to enable the dot Net Framework 3.5, and its others.

 When you select that and hit Apply, it won't happen until Windows does a search on Windows Updates to find the files. After those are located and in, it will apply the changes. Afterward, you can use the Ultimate Windows Tweaker without problems, but it won't work unless you do this, because it was made when the dot Net Framework was in an earlier stage of development, and it needs those earlier versions to do its thing.

As you see, there's lots of ways to have fun with a new program, so don't be shy - jump in and have fun! We learn by doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment